News:

Important : Disclaimers, forum information and instructions are available in this subforum

New members please click this link to join our WhatsApp group 
https://chat.whatsapp.com/Kct4vX5ybol928j8RyhrRP

Weekend Drives Announced; click on the link(s) below and register:

Oman Expedition Apr 2024 – Interest Check

All level drives on 30th March 2024 Saturday

Main Menu

Suspension for FJ Cruiser

Started by Arun, 18 January 16, 21:11:03

Vish Kumar

Quote from: Suresh on 23 January 19, 08:23:57
There are few happy users here of BP-51. Talk to@VadhiRaj, who has an FJ, with BP-51's, for quite some time now.

Thanks, Suresh.
Will talk to him [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'I am the one who knocks.'

Suresh

Quote from: Vish Kumar on 22 January 19, 20:19:06
Any long term feedback on the BP-51s??

There are few happy users here of BP-51. Talk to@VadhiRaj, who has an FJ, with BP-51's, for quite some time now.

Vish Kumar

Bump.

Any long term feedback on the BP-51s??

'I am the one who knocks.'

Mohammed Afsar

@ Arun. Its been a while since you and Naveen put the BP 51's on your rig. Any feedback on them?
Is there any reward for good other than good? Quran 55:60

Arun

Quote from: Mohammed Afsar on 25 January 16, 09:18:06
Arun see below pic it's already here and installed on some FJ's.

Looking good. Not like the look at me blue of Kings ;)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sit silently doing nothing. Spring will come and grass will grow..

Mohammed Afsar

Arun see below pic it's already here and installed on some FJ's.

Arun

ARB Old Man Emu has come out with a new set of kit for FJ called BP-51. This contains 2.5 coilovers and remote resi all around, internal bypasses, adjustible compression and rebound. Reviews are pretty solid. Looks like a strong candidate at usd 2k for the full setup. Need to add Total Chaos or Camburg uca's  and rear springs Not seen any in uae yet. if reviews are true, icon, kings are gonna crash their market.

Mohammed Afsar

Thanks Suresh  :) .

It is up to an individual.  Does one want to wear slippers or good running shoes when He / She decided to go jogging or running? We all, for sure know what happens to your knees when you use slippers. Same applies to our Cars.

Suresh

Quote from: Mohammed Afsar on 20 January 16, 22:44:42
Remember Alice did find wonderland after the tumble right...the tumble or rollovers  was worth it for her.

I personally don't like tumbling. ;D

This, Afsar, has got to be the very best use of an analogy to explain the situation here!

Well said and thanks for sharing your first hand experience. Worth much more than any reviews or opinions.

Mohammed Afsar

I agree with what has already been said...two things to consider..

1. How much is the budget?  :D
2. What do I intend to do when off-road? What kind of drives?

Suresh rightly said that you don't need those high end kits that are used primarily to do Baja runs. You have been to Liwa and by now should know what kind of suspension you need.

Anyways here's what I have on my Car and its feedback.
ICON's Stage 5 Extended Travel Suspension kit, excluding the Billet Aluminum Lower Rear Trailing Arm Kit.

The setup is awesome compared to Fox suspension I had on FJ before. The fox had zero control over rebound this used to put me in precarious situations. The ICONS up until now have  Good compression and rebound control for  the kind of drives we do. I have been able to confidently push the car at places where I was hesitant before with Fox.

It is also important that you chose Upper control arms with Heim joint if you're planning to change your tires to anything above stock size in the future. Those help in effective caster camber adjustment so that your tires don't rub fender walls.

Don't be stuck understanding progressive vs degressive, they both equally perform very well with right installation for our drives. Both ICONS and KINGS have good feedback.

My advise, get enough budget and do a one time spend on good performance kit that should satisfy your drive needs. Believe me there will be a stage where you will want to push your car and the puny cheap shocks will let you down.

Remember Alice did find wonderland after the tumble right...the tumble or rollovers  was worth it for her.

I personally don't like tumbling. ;D

N A V I N

All depends on how deep is one's pocket.  None using those costly stuff could vouch it's worth the penny.

Am Nobody
Nobody is perfect..;)

sands

I agree with Suresh, fix an approx budget which will help you narrow down your options and by then the deer would be out of the headlights focus ensuring you have a clear view to kill .............

Suresh

Go for the best you can based on your appetite for spending your $$$.

All of them provide more or less the same benefits - yes, some better than other, but, in most cases, unless you plan to run the Baja 1000, you end up doing a overkill.

Car modifications fall under the same category as few other things in life - the neighbors version is always better. So, get one which will keep you happy for the longest time possible.

Because, sure enough, the next upgrade that will catch your fancy is just around the corner.

Arun

Running with a 2016 model FJ Cruiser. Ride is still stock except for the addition of traction kill switch and the bash plates. And yes the car has been blackened out with matt plastidip as I cant stand the silver trims and wheels. Planning for a suspension upgrade as the stock ones are too cushy for the ride that I am doing.

Now suspension upgrade opens a different can of worms. Which one to go for ? One hand ,if you look at the FJ cruiser forums you will start hearing suspension kits  ranging from stage 1 to stage 5  from fan boys of Radflo, Icon, Kings, Bilstens, Fox etc telling why their setup is the best. On the other hand we have well wishers who does not know the difference between a castor and a camber advising you to buy a specific model.

Add to the above mix, one need to learn interesting tid bits like multiple reservoirs, multistage bypasses,  upper and lower control arms,sway bars, coilovers, load factor on springs, different valvings suitable for the desert drives. All this works together to make that real offroader rig.I tell ya, tuning a suspension with this plethora of parts is no child's play. This is real black magic.

Deer caught in the headlight ? That's where I am right now. Alice tumbling down the rabbit hole wouldn't have felt this confused as I am feeling right now.

Probably as one of the wise man suggested ,choose a color of the suspension that you want. Blue for Kings/Bilsteins, Black for Radflo/Icon/Fox, Yellow for OME and so forth. Most kits being almost equal in performance when tuned right, this is probably the route most will take.

Feel free to add more to my ramblings based on your experience. I am sure there are many who are in the same cross roads.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk