News:

Important : Disclaimers, forum information and instructions are available in this subforum

New members please click this link to join our WhatsApp group 
https://chat.whatsapp.com/Kct4vX5ybol928j8RyhrRP

Weekend Drives Announced; click on the link(s) below and register:

Oman Expedition Apr 2024 – Interest Check

All level drives on 30th March 2024 Saturday

Main Menu

FJ Cruiser suspension build

Started by Preggy, 11 July 19, 11:39:26

Anusreedharan

Quote from: Suresh on 13 August 19, 16:14:41
Good question.  Thought they share many common components, I am not sure if the Prado also requires a spindle reinforcement. Have not come across them, t be honest. 

But, since both vehicles have similar setup and engines, I would rather have the spindle reinforced, rather than risk it.

Reckon those with Prado will be able to provide better details.  This is just a unstudied opinion of mine.

Thanks Suresh.

Suresh

Quote from: Anusreedharan on 06 August 19, 16:57:23
Hi Suresh,
Do Prado needs a Spindle reinforcement, since most of the part of the FJ's are identical to Prado's?

Good question.  Thought they share many common components, I am not sure if the Prado also requires a spindle reinforcement. Have not come across them, t be honest. 

But, since both vehicles have similar setup and engines, I would rather have the spindle reinforced, rather than risk it.

Reckon those with Prado will be able to provide better details.  This is just a unstudied opinion of mine.

Anusreedharan

Quote from: Suresh on 11 July 19, 18:02:34
Spindle reinforcement is a must. Let me repeat - a must!

And why are you looking at wider tire? The FJ is nor top heavy and you are also going in for spacers, so why? Tire will scrap a bit in the inner well plastic part, ignore it and drive on. No need to cut.

Hi Suresh,
Do Prado needs a Spindle reinforcement, since most of the part of the FJ's are identical to Prado's?

Suresh

Spindle reinforcement is a must. Let me repeat - a must!

And why are you looking at wider tire? The FJ is nor top heavy and you are also going in for spacers, so why? Tire will scrap a bit in the inner well plastic part, ignore it and drive on. No need to cut.

Preggy

Hi guys,
I'm pretty much settled on the BP51's for my FJ since they seem to offer the best bang for my buck, but I intend to keep the stock rims.
I'm not in a hurry  to do all at once so I planned the build as follows:
1. Install 30mm wheel spacers (keeping the stock tires)
2. Lift kit installation
3. Replace tires with the maximum width that will fit on stock rims.

Seemed pretty straight forward until I spoke to different garages and was told about body mount chops and spindle reinforcement.
Is spindle reinforcement still necessary on the latest model FJ? I thought Toyota addressed this by changing the material specifications on all models after 2017.
When will the body mount chop be necessary (after spacer installation or tire size change?)
What is the maximum tire width that can be safely installed on stock 17' FJ rims (2019 model)?
Your feedback will help me plan this build so that I'm not unnecessarily throwing out components earlier than I need to.
BTW the ride on the stock suspension is amazing.